11/30/09Hayes and I made this T-shirt quilt for her out of her old t-shirts. One side of the quilt is strictly made of Camp Sweeney t-shirts (a camp that Hayes has attended for 10 years, loves dearly, and now works for as a counselor). The other side is made of t-shirts from her school sports, various walks she has participated in, and also from Camp. Because the quilt is double sided it is heavy!
We began by looking at all of the t-shirts we had saved over the years. We determined a uniform size that we could cut from each t-shirt, which we unconventionally chose to be 16 inches. Hayes cut out each square and then ironed fusible webbing to each t-shirt. She then determined the layout she wanted by looking at the color composition and numbering the blocks by position and row. I sewed each square together, completing rows, and then sewed the rows together until the two sides were complete. I used sheeting as backing rather than batting to keep the quilt from getting too thick since it was double sided. I had to custom make the border to get the size we wanted which was 2 inches on each side. I used a heavy duty needle and sewed carefully, but my sewing machine got through it. The quilt has some flaws as I am no expert seamstress, but it came out pretty good and we are happy to have made the quilt together. I have seen some shops locally advertise that you can take your t-shirts to them to have a quilt made, and read about some others that do the same service via the web. But, I prefer my more economical route of doing it myself and the shared experience of Hayes and I having done it together. Slater already has plans for me to make one for him, too!